"This is an Archived Ergoweb Forum page -- Submissions are no longer possible"

Home Forums General Ergonomics Topics Anthropometric Data Bases

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  [private user] 13 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

jamurphy
    Participant

I have been using Stephen Pheasant’s book, Bodyspace, 2nd edition, for my anthropometric data but the data for US adults aged 19-65 years is based upon a major survey of US adults conducted in 1971-1974. With widening girths and other changes in our population, I’m looking for a newer data base. Does anyone know if the 3rd edition of Stephen’s book, coauthored by Christine M. Haslegrave, has newer data? I have been referring to the NHANES Anthropometric Ref Data base from 1988-1994 but it doesn’t have all the same measurements as Bodyspace. What about Guidelines for Using Anthropometric Data in Product Design published by HFES 300 Committee… does it have a newer data base? Thanks for any info.

admin
    Keymaster

Hi Jeanette,

Pheasant’s book is a good introduction to anthropometry; however, if you’re looking for more recent US databases, you should look at the 1988 ANSUR database (US Army) or the CAESAR data. Both have their individual strengths, but should give you reliable information. As you might expect, the military data will be truncated for the extremes of weight, height, age etc. You may also want to look into statistically weighting the data to reflect the population that you are working with.

The CAESAR data may be more representative of the extremes within the civilian population. Although full access is expensive, the summary document (Available through the Society of Automotive Engineers) is quite reasonably priced. It is titled “CAESAR: Summary statistics for the adult population (ages 18-65) of the United States of America”.

If you Google either the ANSUR or CAESAR databases, you should find plenty of sources for both.

Finally, I suspect that you would find the HFES 300 document to be a useful summarization of anthropometric techniques.

[private user]
    Participant

Jeanette

The anthropometric data in the third edition of Bodyspace appear identical to those in the second, and therefore only very slightly different to those in the first. So it looks like the updates that Christine Haslegrave made didn’t extend to the tables. The reports about increasing obesity mean that the body depth dimensions will be becoming less accurate. I also wonder if there have been changes in stature in the last 20-30 years.

Andrew

[private user]
    Participant

Hi Jeannette:

Rani Lueder’s website http://www.humanics-es.com has an extensive listing of links to sites with anthropometric information you might find useful.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘General Ergonomics Topics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

pingdom-test-string