"This is an Archived Ergoweb Forum page -- Submissions are no longer possible"

Home Forums Products & Equipment Carpal Tunnel Treatment and Prevention Using Revert Technology

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ergohead 14 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Ergohead
    Participant

I would like to work with ergonomists, physical therapists, engineers and orthopedic researchers to develop my invention of using a mechanical typewriter keyboard for use with computers.

Anyone interested?

JMH26
    Participant

Greetings,

I would be interested in helping “field test” a unit if you have a unit available. I have approximately 350 “administrative” employees and I am sure I could find a couple who would gladly give your project a try and would provide good feedback.

Jim Herzog

Ergohead
    Participant

Zog

Typing on pre-electric typewriters involved mechanical distance and pressure manuevering of the keys that induced use of arms as well as fingers.

My theory is that it may not be just anti-carpal tunnel, but BENEFICIAL to the health of the wrist and overall torso. I figure that it may be a more curative therapy for a person already suffering from carpal tunnel than the current therapy of static restraint – Or, of course, alternation between stasis and long length movement (typewriter) to overcome damage caused by short length movement of fingers-only on a standard computer keyboard. I have a friend who says he protects himself from carpal tunnel by typing on his computer keyboard AS THOUGH it were a mechanical keyboard, the way he was first taught many years ago on a mechanical typewriter, to use arm movement combined with finger movement.

1. I would like to test if it is indeed more theraputic than current methods of treatment.

2. I would like to test if there is a physiological benefit to a normal person. Say like using stairways 6 times a day vs elevator.

3. Could begin subjective testing, but ultimately would want myotechnical testing.

My general theory on this is that for locomotion, the human body is primarily designed more for the length and pressure movements of legs walking, than for legs taking numerous quick 2 inch short steps, and that this theory applies to typing in the same way. One of my invention designs would allow for multiple settings of length and pressure for each of the key movements. (Might be able to make the pinkie as strong as the index finger.)

From your response, you might be able to get a couple of keyboarders to do all their work on a mechanical typewriter and take subjective reports from them after two weeks as to how it feels. (They could scan their paper work into the computer if the company needs it that way.)

In addition to that, would be to attempt this as a new therapy for persons already recovering from various degrees of carpal tunnel injury.

My main ergonomic theory for years, has been that alternation is not only a good thing, but a necessary thing!

There was a movie I saw on TV staring one of Rosanne Barr’s ex-husbands where a Texas woman won the lottery. She became so rich, she didn’t have to get out of bed. “Capitalizing” on here new wealth, she vowed to stay in bed for the rest of her life. She started getting bedsores and other ailments she never had before. She interpreted her new life style as an improved quality of life. “I don’t gotta hafta do nuthin”.

Sometimes I think many ergonomists head straight in to her theory of success, like when a chair is so comfortable, you never move – and then suffer all of the stasis-caused aliments. One famous ergonomist suggested using thumb tacks on bus seats to encourage squirming (unconscious mechanataxis).

I hope to design my new mechanical keyboard to look non-theraputic and sexy.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Products & Equipment’ is closed to new topics and replies.

pingdom-test-string