"This is an Archived Ergoweb Forum page -- Submissions are no longer possible"

Home Forums Medical Management ceiling lifts for patients

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Sheena ODonoughue 10 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

[private user]
    Participant

I am looking for information as to type of ceiling lift – 2 prong versus 4 prong.  I have been moved in a 2 prong lift and felt very uncomfortable, but it seems that is the most common.  Also, does anyone have experience with the portable ceiling motors?  Do staff readily get them when apppropriate?  Any information will be helpful!

[private user]
    Participant

You might find this website link very helpful.

http://www2.worksafebc.com/portals/healthcare/ceilingliftresources.asp

Peter Goyert PT CCPE
    Senior Ergonomist
    WorkSafeBC

Sheena ODonoughue
    Participant

Hi,my name is Sheena O’Donoughue.
    I have only just found this website after attending a seminar by Venerina Johnston from Aussieland.
    I am a Canadian Occupational health Physiotherapist and was involved in the initial set-up in our city of overhead ceiling lifts.
    We have 89% od ofour beds in the hospital I work in , with overhead ceiling lifts.
    In my experience the patient handling staff have readily adapted to this type of lift . we went with (after much research), the Arjo lift which can lift up to 1200lbs.
    We find these lifts work exceptionally well for all patients but particularily for our barriatric population.

Sheena

[private user]
    Participant

Another element to consider for comfort and safety in lifting is appropriate sling size and type. There are some companies that have designed specific slings for bariatric patients; not just extra large sizes of the same design. Some manufacturers also have extra sling bars that can be added to the 2-pt attachment to widen the zone of attachment. We are using Liko ceiling lifts successfully. I would respectfully suggest you go back to the vendor(s) and discuss options. They may also have items in development that will address this. Many new attachments and accessories coming out every year.

cathyk
    Participant

We have many ceiling lifts in our facility.  We have the 4 hook hanger bar as we have 1000 lb lifts.  The staff really like these lifts and use them often.  They don’t have to look for equipment and they don’t typically have to move furniture.  I prefer the 4 hook hanger bar but they usually take up more space (and have a higher weight capacity).

Karrotz82
    Participant

We use Guldmann overhead ceiling lift systems where I work. With the correct sling size the clients report they are comfortable and they are easy for staff to use. I believe the weight capacity for the ones we have is 550#.

http://www.guldmann.com/Default.aspx?ID=3634&GroupID=GROUP110

Irene Michel, OTR/L

Gritman
    Participant

We did a trial of two lift systems and created evaluation forms for our clinical staff to evaluate appropriately.  Our final lifts were Liko and Guldmann.  They are both excellent companies.  We have some Arjo lifts and have had problems with customer service.

We have both bariatric lifts and regular lifts that go to 550 lbs.  I like the combo because the bari 4 pronged lifts are cumbersome for many patients.  With the correct slings, we had great comfort reports from both staff at our trials (over 300 staff trialed the lifts) and from our patients.

The portable motors work but have their own stress to attach, move and store.  The compliance is also much lower since it adds another step in the process.

The patient safety center is a good place to start with research information.  The annual Safe Patient Handling and movement conference is next week in Florida.  Probably too late to go but you may be able to get some of the information from this conference.

Best of luck to you.  They are a wonderful tool for both injury prevention and patient quality care.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Medical Management’ is closed to new topics and replies.

pingdom-test-string