"This is an Archived Ergoweb Forum page -- Submissions are no longer possible"

Home Forums General Ergonomics Topics Ergonomic Issues in Steel manufacturing industry

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  bluecraig004 13 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

bluecraig004
    Participant

Is there anyone who has an expertise on ergonomic issues and concerns specifically in a steel manufacturing industry? I am affiliated in a steel manufacturing industry. As I am still new with ergonomics, it is quite a hard task to identify ergonomic risk…I am assigned in the Production Dept- Cut and Bend Section. Workers are operating the Shearline and Bender machines in cutting and bending rebars. There are also overhead cranes being used in transporting bundles of bars from one section to another. Hope someone can give me some list of ergonomic issues related to my area of concern. Thanks

fgrose
    Participant

Try a search here, http://www.lni.wa.gov/Safety/Topics/ReduceHazards/ErgoBank/search.asp.

Frederick Grose, MPH, CIH

[email protected]
    Participant

Ergoweb has significant experience in the steel manufacturing industry. We’re familiar in general with the operations you mention, but I’m sure there are unique equipment, processes, policies and procedures for your company, so it’s probably best that we communicate privately to discuss specifics, then share generally applicable information in this forum.

I’ll send you a message using the Private Message feature in this forum (click on your highlighted screen name, then click on the Send Private Message link) and we can discuss offline for now.

Best regards,
    Peter Budnick, PhD, CPE
    Ergoweb Inc.

[private user]
    Participant

I expect you will be confronted with backs, backs and more backs.  The only thing that would interfere with your analysis of back pain and injury will be the large number of shoulder problems you must have.  With shoulder problems, come the hands…its just one big kinematic chain.  I have worked in a foundry as a consultant where the big issue is to reduce force as much as possible.  Some  easy solutions exist, like adding proper sized wheels/casters in certain operations.  You may have difficulty just dealing with the biggest ideaological problem, ‘but we have always done it that way.’  Since Peter Budnick will be talking with you, I am sure he will give you information on what has been done.  You will be working hard to describe the message to your work group and move forward. 

Best wishes to you,
    Beverly Burke RN CMA CIE

bluecraig004
    Participant

I have conduected an erogonomic employee discomfot survey for bar shakers and bar trolley pushers. It was found out that bar shakers experienced more pain on their hands and shoulders annd the trolley pushers on their lower back and knee.

For the bar shaker, any ergonomic solution you can suggest?

For the trolley pushers, is there a standard height of trolley/cart for the worker not to fully bend his body when pushing? how about the trolley wheel configuration, would it help if we will change it to bigger wheels or more wheels? whats the right thing to do?

Please help input your ideas. Thanks.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘General Ergonomics Topics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

pingdom-test-string