"This is an Archived Ergoweb Forum page -- Submissions are no longer possible"

Home Forums General Ergonomics Topics gardeners; grounds keepers

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mp 15 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

[private user]
    Participant

Dear Ergowebbers;

I am interested in ergonomic interventions with grounds keepers. I wonder what has been done, if anything, especially regarding specialized equipment.

The population I’m working with has some strains, and a lot of improper use of PPE. Again, I wonder about specialized ergo grounds equipment or any case material you would like to offer.

thanks

Bev Burke

pjacobs
    Participant

Bev,

I did some work a few years ago with grounds keepers for a large school district. Most of the interventions were similar to what we would recommend for an industrial setting: choosing the right tools, handle and grip issues, minor modifications on riding equipment (seats, steps, grab handles, etc.), replacing worn out power tools that vibrated excessiely, etc. There are quite a lot of products out there.

Good luck.

[private user]
    Participant

Thanks for the information. I also got a nice presentation from David Wolfe done by Iowa State.

Having looked at the injuries at this location, one of their biggest problems, is lack of staging. I haven’t seen the equipment yet, trying to schedule.

mp
    Participant

Hi Bev,

What do you mean by staging? Also, is David

[private user]
    Participant

Hi Mike:

My reference to staging describes the worker evaluating the task first, then putting tools, and equipment in ‘best locations’ to complete the work. For instance, providing all the tools necessary at a site prior to starting the task, rather than just plunging right in and then finding that one has to go back and forth to a tool shed or truck to complete the work. The back and forth issue is more physically demanding, and not very productive.

Re: David’s presentation, I can send it later, if you would like.

Best wishes

Bev Burke

mp
    Participant

Thanks Bev and David.

For anyone else following this thread, the presentation mentioned above is at:

http://www.ehs.iastate.edu/training/ebooks.htm

Click on Manual Materials Handling.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘General Ergonomics Topics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

pingdom-test-string