"This is an Archived Ergoweb Forum page -- Submissions are no longer possible"

Home Forums General Ergonomics Topics Hook-n-loop closures and hand force

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  JB 16 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

ErgoMaine
    Participant

I have a retail shoe store whose employees are complaining about ripping open kid’s shoes all day. These shoes have hook-n-loop closures (Velcro). Are there any guidelines on the amount of force or length of pull tabs?

I believe different types of hook-n-loops require different amounts of force. I would think kid’s shoes should be low force so the little ones can open the shoes.

A quick search in google didn’t turn up anything.

– Maureen Anderson, CPE

jamurphy
    Participant

Maureen,

Washington State L&I has ergonomic guidelines that describe caution and hazard lzone evals for pinching. Here is the link to it. http://www.lni.wa.gov/Safety/Topics/Ergonomics/ServicesResources/Tools/default.asp

As an example, pinching an unsupported object weighing 2 lb. or more per hand, or pinching with a force of 4 or more lbs per hand, (comparable to pinching a half a ream of paper) more than 2 hour total per day is the definition of a caution zone job. A hazard zone job would be the same amount of pinching but for 3-4 hours total per day depending on the presence of any awkward hand/wrist postures.

JB
    Participant

Reading your post made me think of factors such as employee satisfaction (rate of pay) volume of customers and wrist mechanics/working postures.

Removing velcro straps could drive one mad if performed frequently ALL DAY (I would think). Ensuring sales staff are utilising a “Palmar Pinch” (thumb and first two fingers) or “Key Pinch” with preference towards the Key Pinch could enable sales staff to perform this task in a more functional manner than the traditional “Tip Pinch” (thumb and first finger). One can exert most force with the KEY and PALMAR pinch position when compared to a TIP pinch.

With little people, I’m guessing staff are adopting low level positions. Also ensuring they are practicing one point kneel or using a portable stool etc to facilitate the fitting also pops up as a red flag. Overall, shoes which are made for little feet should not have straps that would exceed little hands’ abilities to get in and out of them…….one would think anyways.

I’ll do a search and get back to you with some threshold values if any…..the info you actually requested :)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘General Ergonomics Topics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

pingdom-test-string