"This is an Archived Ergoweb Forum page -- Submissions are no longer possible"

Home Forums General Ergonomics Topics How do you describe the grip and motion for controlling the throttle of a motorcycle?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  [private user] 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

[private user]
    Participant

I’m trying to describe the motion and the grip that a person uses as if they were controlling the throttle of a motorcycle. I think the grip type may be a "power grip" but I’m not sure. How would you describe it?

And, can you ercommend any resources that may have guidelines for the amount of strength that users may be able to generate?

Cheers,

Barry

[private user]
    Participant

Barry:

You might try looking at:

• HUMAN FACTORS, 1986, 28(3) 283-294 (Comparison of Maximum Volitional Torque Exertion Capabilities of Males and Females Using Common Hand Tools)
    • HUMAN FACTORS, 1988, 30(6) 733-745 (Maximum Voluntary Hand Grip Torque for Circular Electrical Connectors)

Pax.

====

Danthehitman
    Participant

Barry,

The ergo’s surrounding a motorcycle grip are fairly complex in that the grip is used both for actuating the throttle as well as for steering.  If you’re documenting and/or doing development for a motorcycle grip you’ll have a variety of factors to account for…otherwise, if it’s simply similar to a motorcycle grip you may not have to worry about all the other factors, like rider position, steering, acceleration – deceleration forces, wrist angle, etc…

Let me know if you need more specifics on motorcycle ergos, I can point you in the right direction.

Hope that helps?

Dan

[private user]
    Participant

It is not a motorcycle grip, but an action similar to the handle and operating motion of a motorcycle handle.

Danthehitman
    Participant

Barry,

Just to clarify, your really looking for the throttle/rotational forces required and not really any steering forces?  If it’s only rotational forces you can simply look up the cable tension of whatever springs are being used in the system…ie "return springs", etc.  Those springs, combined with any minimal friction, would give you a good idea of forces required.  I’d also urge you to look at some of the elliptical grip designs that allow the user’s wrist to wrest upon the grip…they really reduce user fatigue over long duration. Other than that, oh and the 12 degree wrist angle, should get you in the ballpark to begin initial testing from which to start iterative improvements based on specific ergonomic factors of your design.

Dan

Ergohead
    Participant

This torsion-force translating from the handle accelerator to the user’s wrist, merits investigation as a preventive, a therapy, or curative exercise for any carpal tunnel potentiality or actuality.

If effective, a "joystick" for computer games could be designed, which could be used as a periodic alternative force on the carpal area, which might stymie the pathological accrual of repetitive keyboarding forces thought to be the cause of carpal tunnel syndrome.

[private user]
    Participant

It used to be called a twist grip, a long time ago.

seriusjoe987
    Participant

i think so is could be called as accelerator grip………

I am serious

Joe Serius

swimming ear plugs

RobRuss
    Participant

Barry:

You are correct.  There are three types of power grips:  Cylindrical, Spherical, and Hook.  Some describe a 4th type, Lateral Prehension.  I refer you to the following:

Long, C., et al.:  Intrinsic-extrinsic muscle control of the hand in power grip and precision handling. J. Bone Joint Surg.  52A:  853, 1970.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘General Ergonomics Topics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

pingdom-test-string