"This is an Archived Ergoweb Forum page -- Submissions are no longer possible"

Home Forums General Ergonomics Topics IPad Posture

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Darcie_ergo 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

kbateman
    Participant

When working with students on the Autism Spectrum, they will pull their bodies into an almost full flexion when working on the iPad. They will cross their legs and tuck under them and bend their bodies around the iPad, hunching their shoulders and flexing at hips, waist, and neck. I am looking for ideas to correct this posture while still allowing the students to enjoy their reward time on the iPad?

[private user]
    Participant

I often tell people that where their eyes go, the head tends to follow. I have been trying to educate our workforce to get the visual displays up to avoid becoming an office hunchback. There are a number of tablet cases that will put the device into a semi-vertical orientation, allowing the user to sit in a more upright position while viewing the screen. Encouraging them to use the device on a table-top surface rather than on their lap will also help. My wife and I do a lot with children on the autistic spectrum, and see what you are talking about on a regular basis.

teague
    Participant

The proper way to hold ipad is to place it table with its ipad stand. Your position is more relax and your neck and shoulder wouldn’t get strain.

Darcie_ergo
    Participant

Good Morning! I know that this could be a little late, but I’m wondering if you have ever had any luck with using an external keyboard or mouse instead? These could be linked via Bluetooth and you could get specific types and sizes that your students really like using – so they end up using them in the first place! I have assessed office workstations with bluetooth keyboards/mice linked to iPads, and these people tended to always use good overall postures. This is because they were able to use the iPad similar to like they would use a laptop, placing the iPad at a good eye level when working and then placing the keyboard/mouse at a neutral elbow height.

If your students really like using the iPad without these extensions, perhaps you can set it up that they would alternate between the two options. Perhaps this will increase the likelihood of better postures and reductions of hand flexion! Good luck!

Hope that helps!
    -Darcie

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘General Ergonomics Topics’ is closed to new topics and replies.