"This is an Archived Ergoweb Forum page -- Submissions are no longer possible"

Home Forums Medical Management Is SAMe (“Sammie”) useful for treating Overuse Injuries?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ksteidle 12 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

admin
    Keymaster

Dear all,

Research shows that a dietary supplement of SAMe (S-adenosyl-methionine; pronounced “Sammie”) can be used as a safe and effective treatment for many forms of depression and often acts faster than conventional antidepressants (Mischoulon and Fava, 2002). The directions say that it should only be used in addition to prescribed antidepressant therapy on medical advice so there can be complications with its use in that context.

It also has anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects (Stramentinoli, 1987) and on the basis of recent research Bottiglieri (2002) has advocated its use for treating osteoarthritis and depression. Has anyone tried using it for treating the physical pain symptoms that result from overuse injuries?

If so, have you found any success?

Regards,

David McFarlane MAppSc (Ergonomics)

Ergonomist, WorkCover NSW

References

Mischoulon D and Fava M., (2002), “Role of S-adenosyl-L-methionine in the treatment of depression: a review of the evidence”, Am J Clin Nutr. 2002 Nov; 76(5):1158S-61S.

Stramentinoli G, (1987), “Pharmacologic aspects of S-adenosylmethionine. Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics”, Am J Med. 1987 Nov 20; 83(5A): 35-42.

Bottiglieri T, (2002), “S-Adenosyl-L-methionine (SAMe): from the bench to the bedside–molecular basis of a pleiotrophic molecule”, Am J Clin Nutr. 2002 Nov; 76 (5):1151 S-7S.

Disclaimer

Any recommendation concerning the use or representation of a particular brand of product in this document or any mention of them whatsoever (whether this appears in the text, illustrations, photographs or in any other form) is not to be taken to imply that WorkCover NSW approves or endorses the product or the brand.

ksteidle
    Participant

After reading about SAMe in non-clinical magazines e.g. Newsweek, i tried it myself to see if it would have a similar effect as glucosamine/chondroitin for joint pain.  I noticed that while taking it i did not experience much low back pain as i sometimes do in my job (as a PT).  i stopped taking it after a while, and recently resumed to see if it would help me with acute neck pain.  It’s only been a week or so but I haven’t really noticed a significant effect. 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Management’ is closed to new topics and replies.

pingdom-test-string