"This is an Archived Ergoweb Forum page -- Submissions are no longer possible"

Home Forums General Ergonomics Topics Lead Aprons for x-ray Technicians

This topic contains 9 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  admin 13 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

[private user]
    Participant

Does anyone have any literature on the effect of wearing lead aprons for long periods of time (8-10 hours per day) for x-ray technicians and cardiac catheterization staff. I am looking for ergonomic justification to purchase new lighter weight lead aprons with waist belts and shoulder straps to take the weight off their shoulders but all I have right now is employee discomfort reports and completed symptom surveys. The aprons weigh from 8lbs to 15lbs, some of them are one piece, and some are 2 piece with a vest and a skirt. I would appreciate any suggestions or references that have looked at this problem.

Thanks

Margaret

[private user]
    Participant

Margaret,

If you post your e-mail I can send you some information.

Thanks,

Valerie

[private user]
    Participant

I too would be interested in any information on this topic, thank you!

[email protected]

[private user]
    Participant

I looked into this several years and published a paper in The Journal Of Occupational Health and Safety (Australia and NZ). Volume 18, Number 4, August 2002 and in the proceedings of the 2003 IEA Conference. If you send me your e-mail address I will send you a copy.

Paul Rothmore

[email protected]

nataliec
    Participant

Valerie

I also would be interested in any info you have. could you please send it?

thanks

[email protected]

[private user]
    Participant

I do not have any literature on this, and I also would like to receive any references available. As a practical point, I have found that the employees are extremely appreciative when I fit them with aprons that are not only lighter in weight, but the right size. One size does not fit all, and the amount of strain reported is greatly reduced if the apron fits close to the body. I have used different styles for different individuals depending upon the employee’s need for weight balance anterior/posterior and shoulders/waist. I was able to get detailed information from the manufacturer about the actual weight of each piece in different lead/no lead options, and this was very helpful. We have an increasing number of employees who need to wear these the majority of their day, and proper fit and lighter weight have boosted job satisfaction considerably.

[private user]
    Participant

Valerie,

I would also be very interested in receiving the information you have about lead jackets!

Thanks

[email protected]

[private user]
    Participant

Valerie:

Could you also send me the reference on Lead Aprons? This is a concern I have heard from Radiology employees in our hospital. [email protected].

Many thanks,

Jacqueline

[private user]
    Participant

Had you considered using the kilts? This way the weight is more evenly distributed and is more user friendly.

Megan Miller,OTR/L

Atlanta, Ga.

admin
    Keymaster

Margaret,

Paul Rothmore provided me with these references a couple of years ago (when he was doing his pilot study);

1. Moore, B, vanSonnenberg, E, Casola, G and Novelline, R. The relationship between back pain and lead apron use in radiologists. American Journal of Roentgenology 1992, 158 (1): 191-193.

2. Ross, A, Segal, J, Borenstein, D, Jenkins, E and Cho, S. Prevalence of spinal disc disease among interventional cardiologists. Excerpta Medica. 1997: 68-70.

3. Kelsey, J, Githens, P, Walter, S, Southwick, W, Weil, U, Holford, T, Ostfield, A, Callgero, J, O

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘General Ergonomics Topics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

pingdom-test-string