"This is an Archived Ergoweb Forum page -- Submissions are no longer possible"

Home Forums General Ergonomics Topics metal to metal hammer strikes

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  GCWesq 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

smokeyblues
    Participant

I have a job that requires chisel to hammer strikes over 3000 times in an 8 hour shift. Could anyone give me a ratio of ergonomically safe ratio of hammer strike per minute or hour that would be considered safe? Also, my employer refuses to produce such a ratio. Is there anything that I can do to make them produce such ratio? Is that a violation of OSHA that creates an unsafe work environment?

GCWesq
    Participant

It looks unsafe. We have a standard (Victoria, Australia) which allows that kind of work (more than two strikes per minute) for no more than half an hour at a time, and no more than two hours over a whole shift. Exceeding that triggers a risk assessment. You have 8 hours over a shift, and possibly more than 30 minutes at a time.

Notwithstanding the above, it would be useful to know the weight of the hammer (which is being used with a chisel?), the direction of swing, the force of the swing, and the posture adopted by the worker. Can the work be done with the other hand for some of the time (with practice)?

Control measures might include rotation to other work – four workers would be needed to keep this at 2 hours each per shift, and finding another way to do the work, such as using a power tool.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘General Ergonomics Topics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

pingdom-test-string