"This is an Archived Ergoweb Forum page -- Submissions are no longer possible"

Home Forums Medical Management Pain in the arm

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  tbrownexcel 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

daam82
    Participant

Hi,

I work by the computer a lot in my work. I have started to experience  pain and discomfort in my wrist, elbow and shoulder regions. Should I suspect the discomfort is related to the use of mouse regularly and long times? Should I exchange my mouse to something else? What could be an alternative?

/Daniel

charissashaw
    Participant

Yes, that could be the reason if that is your mouse hand.  There are several alternatives but the first thing you want to look at is the height of your keyboard/mouse.  Is your wrist positioned approximately one inch lower than your elbow?  If so, than the type of mouse may be the issue, there are several on ergobuyer’s site you can look at, some you may want to consider: Contour Design Roller mouse, Wacom Tablet (Pen mouse), touchpad, integrated mouse with keyboard, Vertical mouse.  There are literally hundreds so it could be some trial and error!

Charissa

ergolution.net

marjsteed
    Participant

Another issue may be the height of your desk — if your keyboard is on your desk top, you may be activating your neck and shoulder to hold your arms up (unconsciously) to type or use the mouse, especially if the desk is high. This is in addition to the issues that Charissa brings up with the mouse itself. I usually start with the chair fit, then assess the desk and keyboard, and monitor height and position. Is there someone at your worksite that does ergo evaluations?

dalit972
    Participant

Hi,

One more thing you should be considering is arm support.

You should support your forearms when you are working with the mouse or while typing.

You can place them on the table, on the chair arm rests or on a armrest board.

When the forearms are supported it reduces the tension in the shoulder blade and neck and from there down the

arms and forearms.

It also helps you align your wrist properly.

http://www.ergo4u.com

Myrlin
    Participant
    Hi Daniel,

You have three things going on, wrist, arm and shoulder.  Elevation and distance to the mouse and keyboard are most likely the problems with your shoulder.   Arm supports or work surface too high are what I would look at first.  Push yourself away from the desk a few inches and if you have arm rests on the chair lower them to the lowest point.  Now relax your shoulders while holding your arms parallel to the floor as if you are keyboarding.  Keep your arms close to the body and now compare what level your hands are with the keyboard and mouse.  If your hands are lower than the keyboard height is probably the culprit with the shoulder. 

Now move back to the desk as if you were going to begin work.  Holds your elbows close to your torso, relax your shoulders and you should be able to reach your keyboard and mouse without extending your arms.  If you can’t reach is also a concern.

Next consider the mouse.  Wireless is best.  Grip the mouse as if you are going to use it and move it around.  Try to notice if you feel any contact in the palm of your hand and if you can move it comfortably without applying any grip force.  Your wrist is sore so take your time going through all the steps it takes to operate the mouse. 

1. place your hand on the mouse

2. move the mouse

3. depress the buttons, all of them.

Pay close attention to the area where you feel pain.  At some point you should feel a small spike in the discomfort level.  This exercise will help you find where the mouse is deficient.  You can now shop for a mouse that is improved in that area.  Remember and mouse and keyboard are like shoes, one side and shape does not fit all.  Don’t buy until you try.

My recommendation for mouse selection is to consider larger rather than smaller.  A larger, longer mouse will fill the palm of your hand better and reduce the amount of force require to grip and move.

If you’re wrist soreness continues you should see a doctor.  Sleeping at night with a wrist support that immobilizes  the wrist can help.  They allow the wrist to relax and maintain a neutral posture while you sleep.

[private user]
    Participant

Daniel

You may also be experiencing a problem  related to nerve irritation coming from your cervical spine. It's not uncommon for prolonged computer use to cause this type of a problem. If none of the other suggestions help see if you can find a McKenzie trained Physical Therapist in tour area.

Mark

Mark Durlak, PT, Cert. MDT

Spine Center/Occupational Rehabilitation programs

Wake Forest Baptist Health

tbrownexcel
    Participant

I am a Air Condition Repair Tech and I get tingling feeling in my wrist when I use a screwdriver, it has a popping sound any thoughts?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Medical Management’ is closed to new topics and replies.

pingdom-test-string