"This is an Archived Ergoweb Forum page -- Submissions are no longer possible"

Home Forums General Ergonomics Topics posture analysis of workers

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  syedqutub16 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

syedqutub16
    Participant

i am working on identifying the risk factors in postures of workers in some unorganised sector like dal mills, oil mills and brick making etc.

to find out the occupational risks and hazards i want to use some questionnaire like nordic, and other postural analysis tools like RULA, REBA, QEC etc.

I want to know if anyone has worked in these areas and to find out risks, how to start and which tools to use, as there are many evaluation tools.

Kindly make your suggestions.

syedqutub16
    Participant

its more than a week and no one has posted a reply.

i request the learned ones to post a reply.

[email protected]
    Participant

Hi syedqutub16,

I suspect the reason no one has jumped up to answer your question is because it is a very broad question. Ergonomics analysis is a complicated subject with many factors to consider. Ergonomics professionals often spend years in coursework and practice to become proficient, so it's very difficult to provide a simple answer to your question. The analysis methods you might select depend, at least, on what risk factors you are trying to measure, what type of task you are analyzing, what area of the body your are focusing on, and the time and resources you have to conduct the analysis.

Peter

Peter Budnick, PhD, CPE
    Ergoweb Inc.

syedqutub16
    Participant

Thanks for your reply.

Basically i am focusing on risk factors related to MSD. the work is totally manual and it involves the entire body movements.

the workers adapt different body postures and there are no standards for this type of work.

therefore i requested if someone has done work in this type of work to find the risk factors and postural analysis for MSD.

syedqutub

kris1112
    Participant

I work in an industrial setting where there is a lot of awkward postures…stacking books, feeding product into machines.  My company has adapted a lot of their assessment tools to a company standard.  However, when I am going out to watch a worker, I always take a camera/video recorder, an HRTI (high risk task identifier) form that lists all the awkward postures I'm looking for, and a stopwatch.  I always talk to the employee and ask their permission for pictures/videos and tell them I'm watching them for posture assessment only.  I will also video them and review later if there's a lot of motions to that particular task.  I hope this helps.  If you would like more information, please let me know!  Thanks and good luck!

williamson01
    Participant

I have regularly used the RULA for assessments in manufacturing layouts. I like this becuase it is easy an quick and not invasive to the person being assessed. Important in a situation where you can't stop a production line.

My personal experience is that you don't use these tools to actually find out risk. You find out risk by watching, learning and interviewing. What these tools are more suited for is quantifying the risk. For example; where I think there is an issue, or an operator or other 3rd party has identified a risk, I will do an assessment and as part of that assessment I will use a tool (like RULA or Manual Handling Assessment chart). That then quantifies the level and gives me (a)some justification to get it fixed and (b) some measurable improvement when I go back and re-assess. I can then get some sort of qualntifiable improvement data on before and after cases. The RULA (and others) are just one tool in my tool box. I would never reply soley on just a RULA chart without doing the other aspects. Not sure if this answers your question, happy to give more details if required.

Mark WIlliamson

Applied Human Factors Ltd. 

syedqutub16
    Participant

Hi Christy

you have talked about HRTI ( high risk task identifier) form. could you please sned a copy of the HRTI form. my mail id is [email protected]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘General Ergonomics Topics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

pingdom-test-string