"This is an Archived Ergoweb Forum page -- Submissions are no longer possible"

Home Forums General Ergonomics Topics Production Standards and Rotation Schedules

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  scwolverine 14 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

scwolverine
    Participant

I am working with a company that is textile based and the product that is handled by the workers is in the size range of a tissue to a small towel; the number of items handled each shift ranges from 250-12,000, most in batches or bundles). They remove the completed product from the output of the machine and package them in a variety of ways such as bagging, banding, sacking or boxing. They are then packaged into shipping containers for distribution. I will preface this by saying that work technique and basic ergonomic interventions have been implemented and until they are able to purchase fully automated equipment that has been designed and budgeted for, they would like to do the following:

They are looking for 2 things:

1- a determination of production standards based on a temporary redesign of the workstations. The machine manufacturers can provide production numbers for the machines that should be achieved by the machine. The problem is the machines are very old and those production numbers would be unrealistic. I would like to assist them in determining a new standard of production for multiple machines. Does anyone have any equations, spreadsheets, checklists or the like that will help me identify all variables needed to assist with this process.

AND

2- a rotation schedule based on the human factor. What can they handle based on risk (force, reps, posture etc..), METS utilized, and more. What are good models or research to use? Washington state materials, RULA, Strain index, HAL…

They are really trying to get in a better position for production and for their people but don’t know the limits. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Eric

scwolverine
    Participant

I am working with a company that is textile based and the product that is handled by the workers is in the size range of a tissue to a small towel; the number of items handled each shift ranges from 250-12,000, most in batches or bundles). They remove the completed product from the output of the machine and package them in a variety of ways such as bagging, banding, sacking or boxing. They are then packaged into shipping containers for distribution. I will preface this by saying that work technique and basic ergonomic interventions have been implemented and until they are able to purchase fully automated equipment that has been designed and budgeted for, they would like to do the following:

They are looking for 2 things:

1- a determination of production standards based on a temporary redesign of the workstations. The machine manufacturers can provide production numbers for the machines that should be achieved by the machine. The problem is the machines are very old and those production numbers would be unrealistic. I would like to assist them in determining a new standard of production for multiple machines. Does anyone have any equations, spreadsheets, checklists or the like that will help me identify all variables needed to assist with this process.

AND

2- a rotation schedule based on the human factor. What can they handle based on risk (force, reps, posture etc..), METS utilized, and more. What are good models or research to use? Washington state materials, RULA, Strain index, HAL…

They are really trying to get in a better position for production and for their people but don’t know the limits. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Eric

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘General Ergonomics Topics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

pingdom-test-string