"This is an Archived Ergoweb Forum page -- Submissions are no longer possible"

Home Forums Medical Management sciatica and vehicle ergonomics

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  GCWesq 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

[private user]
    Participant

Hi there. I have an employee who has been dealing with siatica on an an ongoing basis. She is a field inspector and therefor spends 8-10 hours a day in a vehicle. Her doctor has told her that she must have a work vehicle with cruise control to alleviate some of her hip pain, however, we work for a government agency and the type of vehicles and included package options are very highly controlled. Our entire current fleet does not have cruise control and there is not any way we are able to order a vehicle with this type of option. I’m also slightly concerned about hydroplaning issues with cruise control anyway. Does anyone have any ideas for engineering controls?

swilkersonmt
    Participant

Andrea,

I don’t have any ideas for engineering controls, but have you ever considered massage therapy for her pain?
    I work with sciatica pain patients all the time that are in the same seated positions driving for many hours a day. I know that with regular treatments and education that my patients have been able to get out of pain and continue to drive with no cruise control. Just a thought, as it may solve several issues for you! Find a massage therapist that works with sciatica pain and refer your employee. Like most things in life, if she gets massage consistently she will have better long term results.

Sarah Wilkerson

GCWesq
    Participant

You can get cruise control installed as an accessory – kits can be under $200 each.
    I use (factory-installed) cruise control all the time, driving a couple of hours a day. I have never had any trouble with it with aquaplaning (or hydroplaning). If you research the topic, you will find there’s a bit of unwarranted (and illogical) suspicion about it (it doesn’t and can’t CAUSE aquaplaning), but one should nevertheless be a bit careful when using it. It’s not a set-and-forget type of thing. It’s of least concern on a well-maintained car (which is less likely to aquaplane). You may not be aware that it cancels as soon as you brake, or apply the clutch (in a manual car), or you can manually turn it off, of course.
    In addition to removing the need to be constantly pushing the accelerator, I find it greatly reduces stress when driving – it removes the need to constantly be looking down at the speedo when in use, and constantly adjusting speed (that’s why I like it). Note that many cruise controls do not govern downhill acceleration (some of the more modern, up-market ones do). The brakes still need to be used here.
    Managing the amount of time sitting in the car would always be of benefit, too. Long hours of driving every day would cause most people problems of some sort.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Medical Management’ is closed to new topics and replies.

pingdom-test-string