"This is an Archived Ergoweb Forum page -- Submissions are no longer possible"

Home Forums General Ergonomics Topics Using workout bench instead of computer chair?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  GCWesq 6 years ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

apc0243
    Participant

Hi all, I was wondering if I can use my workout bench as a computer chair. I find computer chairs restricting and lazy and the workout bench does a good job of forcing my posture. I also like that I can push the bench back easily and pick up my free weights for a quick break and workout.

The bench itself is an adjustable inclining bench (from -45 to 90 degrees approx.). it’s very comfortable, but I worry I’m not thinking of something. I spend about 6-7 hours a day at my desk (I take frequent breaks) so I want to make sure I enjoy it!

Thanks!

GCWesq
    Participant

A slightly reclined chair backrest takes some of the weight off your lower back, and also opens up your hip joint. Both of these reduce the stress to which your lower back is exposed when sitting, when compared with when you are sitting up straight, as with no backrest. It sounds like your arrangement does not have a backrest, so you may want to consider this. Some people achieve the open hip joint by tilting their seat pan a little. That can also be considered.
    While using a chair with a backrest might seem lazy, it’s recommended because sitting does not provide optimal posture, so we need to be a bit ‘lazy’ to avoid injury.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘General Ergonomics Topics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

pingdom-test-string