"This is an Archived Ergoweb Forum page -- Submissions are no longer possible"

Home Forums General Ergonomics Topics vision degradation and vdt

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  [private user] 16 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

[private user]
    Participant

Dear Ergoweb:

I am looking for a reference for vision degradation related to vdt use. It seems that this item was recently in the news, even posted on the ergoweb newsletter. I did not find any thread checking the forum, using vision, vision and vdt use. I am looking for a citation for the research. Can anyone offer, author or title, or journal?

Thank you,

Bev Burke

[private user]
    Participant

Bev,

What you recently saw was a study out of Japan where they were correlating computer use and visual field loss associated with glaucoma. While the study was interesting, I am not convinced that a correlation exists.

There are no published studies that conclude that VDT use will cause any deterioration of vision any more than “normal” amounts of close work (reading, etc.). That being said, it doesn’t mean that VDTs aren’t a source of worsening vision. My belief is that it is due to several factors, including lighting, ergonomics and the fact that we’re just using the VDT for so much of our work, play, shopping and communication!

Let me know if you need any additional information.

Jeff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘General Ergonomics Topics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

pingdom-test-string