"This is an Archived Ergoweb Forum page -- Submissions are no longer possible"

Home Forums Medical Management Vision requirements

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  lmm 12 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

lmm
    Participant

I am working with an employer involved with small part manufacturing in a clean room setting. Use of microscopes and video monitors is common. They have concerns with a ageing workforce and increases in Macular Degeneration. Is there a method to determine what the visual requirements are for a job? Thanks.

ergoqueen
    Participant

I have worked with a population of visually impaired workers, either low vision or blind, and we devised our own testing to determine what the visual demands for a specific job and the work environment.  

I have it adapted somewhere in back up files if you would like to look at what we came up with, but it is not a standardized test. 

[private user]
    Participant

Louise,

There are no studies that link microscope/computer use and macular degeneration. What specifically are you looking for?
    There are several issues to consider for these jobs and aging but there are no medical conditions that link them to this type of work. However, nutrition and common sense (which isn’t common and often doesn’t make sense!!) can make a difference. Not sure if this fits into an ergonomics program or general health.

Jeff
    Dr. Jeffrey Anshel

Optometrist

Corporate Vision Consulting

lmm
    Participant

Jeff,

The company is trying to identify what level of vision is needed to perform the task so when someones vision can not be corrected further they can be matched with the best postion. They are not looking at linking the task to the disorder in cause/effect. I am therefore looking for a way to determine the visual requirements for a task/job.

Thanks,
    Louise

[private user]
    Participant

Louise,

By "level of vision", most companies think of visual acuity, which also often determines "low vision" (ie, not correctable to 20/20). I would think that they’d need an eyecare professional to do the examination and determine that level. The company would need to find out that information then determine what the person can best view. 
    While there may be some guidelines out there, I would guess that it’s a "trial and error" method to see how comfortable and functional the employee is with the task. There are many accommodation options for low vision. And there are many "levels" of low vision as well- just as there are for "blindness"; it’s not an all-or-none phenomenon.

Jeff
    Dr. Jeffrey Anshel

Optometrist

Corporate Vision Consulting

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Medical Management’ is closed to new topics and replies.

pingdom-test-string