"This is an Archived Ergoweb Forum page -- Submissions are no longer possible"

Home Forums General Ergonomics Topics visual analogue scale

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  afshin3a 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

syedqutub16
    Participant

i am doing work on assessment of musculoskeletal disorders in traditional industries like oil mills, brick making, stone polishing and saw mills.

i would like to know the use of visual analogue scale to know the level of discomfort or pain among the workers.

has anyone used this? what are its implications? kindly update me on this matter.

Qutubuddin

[private user]
    Participant

The VA scale is useful, in that it provides more resolution than numical only scale. It is also less dependent on language, and is can benchmark with less analysis by many populations.

It is a classic scale in pain measurement, and it is also used in area where larguage is more lmited.

Steve Orfield
    <br>
    Orfield Laboratories, Inc.
    <br>
    Minneapolis

denfinch
    Participant

Hello.  Here are some references that may be of help. Katz J, Melzack R. Measurement of pain. Surg Clin North Am. 1999 Apr; 79(2):231-52.                   Scott, J and Huskisson, E.C., Graphic representation of pain, Pain 2 11976) 175-184.

Carlsson, Anna Maria: Assessment of chronic pain. I. Aspects of the Reliability and Validity of the Visual Analogue Scale: Pain, 16 (1983) 87-101. Breivik EK, Bjornsson GA, Skovlund E. A comparison of pain rating scales by sampling from clinical trial data: Clin J Pain. 2000 Mar:16 (1): 22-8

Onhaus, E.E and Adler R., Methodologic problems in the measurement of pain: a comparison between the verbal rating scale and the visual analog scale, Pain 1 (1975) 379-384.

Steven J. Linton and K. Gunnar Gotestam: A clinical comparison of two pain scales; correlation, Remembering Chronic pain and a measure of compliance: Pain, 17 (1983) 57-65.

afshin3a
    Participant
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘General Ergonomics Topics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

pingdom-test-string