"This is an Archived Ergoweb Forum page -- Submissions are no longer possible"

Home Forums General Ergonomics Topics Workstation adjustment for people who have to look at the keyboard when typing?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  toolman 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

KarenOT
    Participant

Several of my colleagues, including myself, look at the keyboard when typing instead of at the monitor. The issue is that when establishing traditional proper positioning at a workstation, it increase neck flexion for those who need to look at the keyboard. For this reason I personally prefer to use a laptop. Is anyone aware of studies or recommendations that take this into consideration (other than learning to type, of course!)

toolman
    Participant

We had this situation for one of our workers. Using a laptop didn’t work because it put the screen too close. We used an angled writing platform on the desktop so the keyboard was at a positive angle and higher to be more in his line of sight. He was able to have the monitor in the correct position and a neutral wrist posture albeit with a more flexed elbow position. This seemed to reduce the amount of neck flexion required to see the keys. I think some of the laptop stands, or heavy duty in-line document holders might provide enough stability and the right position for the keyboard. Good luck.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘General Ergonomics Topics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

pingdom-test-string