"This is an Archived Ergoweb Forum page -- Submissions are no longer possible"

Home Forums General Ergonomics Topics Workstation Widths

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  solutionsrehab 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Nellie
    Participant

I am researching the minimal distances recommended between workstations. For example, bank tellers, counter clerks etc. Does a minimum recommendation exist? If so, can anyone provide me with direction to find that resource?

Thanks. 

Keith

JB
    Participant

Great resource re: anthropometric data.  Compares Dreyfuss and Woodson on page 47.  Has information you are looking for i.e Standing forward reach 5, 50, and 95% female measures:

http://www.allsteeloffice.com/NR/rdonlyres/3B6AC489-FC78-4B78-895A-0A5D8A9E888A/0/ErgoHandbook.pdf

Regards,

John Bragdon, BSc. Kin, CK(OKA)
    Director of Kinesiology/Occupational Services
    Movewell Rehabilitation
    [email protected]

mwh001
    Participant

I think that you would want to consider the shoulder breadth and also look at the elbow span (lateral epicondyle to lateral epicondyle)  for the 95th% male.  I would assume that the elbow span is a little greater, so would want to consider that and add space as needed so that the workers don’t feel boxed in.  Also, you probably want to look at lateral reach distances to ensure that you don’t create extended reach envelopes.

solutionsrehab
    Participant

I think you are right. Minimal workstations are allows the owners to occupy the vacant area in workplace. But there should be need to care that any employee do not feels that he is sitting in congested area.

williamson01
    Participant

Minimum distance wil be derived by the shoulder width plus allowance for primary workspace (the area swept by the lower arms with the arms relaxed. However I would not use this as my minimum in this instance as it does not take into account the organizational factors of the task. If it were me I would be considering;

• Min privacy distance
    • Noise intrusion
    • Space to right or left of teller for writing.
    • Space to move safely around other customers
    • Distance between tellers in case task sharing is required

Mark Williamson

Ergonomics Manager

Schlumberger Oilfied Services

[private user]
    Participant

What I see are two different issues: the space required by the worker and the space needed to perform the assigned tasks.

The volume needed for the worker should allow the large male enough room to move as needed to perform his duties (the 95th percentile shoulder breadth, left to right lateral epicondyle breadth, etc.).

The second criteria, to which Mark alluded, is more complicated. This one requires some analysis of the tasks to be performed, the space needed for related supplies, privacy, etc. just as Mark described. You may even need to take into account the space needed for the queues in front of the worker, such as airline ticket counters which must accommodate people with luggage versus bank tellers with people not having such encumbrances. So there are really two answers to the original question.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘General Ergonomics Topics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

pingdom-test-string